Anyone attend Ruth Laredo's memorial, May 18, NYC?

Lance
Site Administrator

Anyone attend Ruth Laredo's memorial, May 18, NYC?

Post by Lance » Sat May 20, 2006 1:40 am

Having just visited our good friend and CMG member Gregg at his web site [Classicaldomain.com], I was pleased to learn of a memorial concert in pianist Ruth Laredo's honor at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC on May 18th. Performing were the Guarneri Quartet members, who were once long time in residence here (Binghamton NY) and I knew them well and took care of their pianos. Pianist Edmund Battersby performed, and I have worked for him, also James Tocco, Charles Wadsworth and other celebrated artists.

It was my pleasure to prepare Ruth Laredo's piano on at least two or three occasions and I enjoyed a long private conversation with her about music, pianos, and people in the business. She was absolutely wonderful to work with and had the most beautiful eyes imaginable! She was a consummate artist and pianist.

Her premature passing (from cancer) was a great loss to the world of music. It is hard to believe she has been gone from our midst for a year.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat May 20, 2006 6:01 pm

I did, I don't get out much, but I had to see this. I never saw Ruth Laredo but I have a few LPs.

It seems sort of wrong to talk about highlights, but ... the Edmund Battersby and James Tocco playing 2 works from the four hand arrangement of Ravel's Mother Goose was inspired.

Paula Robison told some amusing two randy chicks from the '60s stories, and two randy chicks from the '80s stories. Hmmm... Funny those are the aspects that stick in my mind. It might say more about me than Paula though.

it was nice to see the Guarneri again, I have not seen them in years. But it might have been early in the morning for them, again churlish to critique in an event like this.

Over all very touching, we exited silently after a Laredo recording of a movement from a Rachmaninoff prelude was played over the loudspeakers.

One more thing. The MET's auditorium is in the Egyptian section, it never struck me as odd before, but after this memorial event I couldn't help but notice that we were surrounded by an entire cultures preoccupation with death. Normally something I never think about as I walk through the wing.

Gregg