Recommendations thread

Harvested Sorrow

Recommendations thread

Post by Harvested Sorrow » Wed May 24, 2006 7:17 pm

decided to give recommendations on three recordings; unfortunately I have no technical knowledge to speak of, so I'll just have to do the best I can:

To start...

Brahms: A German Requiem; Conductor: Fritz Lehmann Label: Deutsche Gramophone

This is a rather high quality recording of the Requiem, I wouldn't name it as a first or second choice, but as a third? Possibly. The soloists do good work as well as the choir, although there are moments where the period of its release shines through (in particular during the louder choral movements) and it is a mono recording. He generally chooses broad tempos, so the whole thing unfolds slowly, yet it works. Not much else to say about this. (Unfortunately choral works aren't exactly my strong point)

Brahms & Schumann: Works For Cello and Piano; Colin Carr: Cello, Lee Luvisi: Piano Label: Arabesque Recordings

The works performed are Brahms two cello sonatas and the the cello and piano version of Schumann's Fantasiestucke, Op. 73 (Originally for clarinet and piano)

The two musicians do a wonderful job on this, the balance between the instruments is good and the sound itself is wonderful and full. The playing is Romantic -- as it should be -- but not dripping with over sentimentality. They also manage to conjure up a wonderful atmosphere in all three works, however, they're at their very best when playing the slower movements. During the faster pace moments of Brahms two sonatas the duo tends to seem a bit too reserved and cautious, however, it's still worth having. In particular for the price. The Fantasiestucke, however, is excellent. I'm primarily a fan of hearing this work in it's original form but I'll surely get many listens out of the cello and piano version on this disc. All the caution, the reserved nature of the Brahms is thrown to the wind and it works wonderfully. They seem extremely comfortable in this and take the fast sections well, as well as the slower sections, it all works out excellently. Once again, not a first choice but it's worth having.

I saved the best for last:

Grieg: complete chamber music: Raphael Quartet (Disc 1, Disc 3 Track #4), Ivan Zenaty: Violin and Antonin Kubalek: Piano (Disc 2), Robert Cohen: Cello, Roger Vignoles: Piano (Disc 3 Tracks #1 & 2), Jet Roling: Piano & Ramy Koch: Violin & Henk Lambooij: Cello (Disc 3 Track #5) Label: Brilliant Classics

Repertoire:
Disc 1: String Quartet No. 1 in G minor, Op. 27 & String Quartet No 2 in F major (Completed by Julius Rontgen)
Disc 2: Violin Sonata No. 1 in F major, Op. 8; Violin Sonata No. 2 in G major, Op. 13; Violin Sonata No. 3 in C minor, Op. 45
Disc 3: Cello Sonata in A minor, Op. 36; Fugue for string quartet in F minor; Andante Con Moto for Piano Trio in C minor

This album is amazing. The sound is wonderful on all three discs and the instruments are well balanced, although there does seem to be a small amount of muffling on the piano in the cello sonata, however, this is a minor quibble. The two string quartets are given excellent interpretations, the execution is excellent and the quartet works hard to find the 'darkness' in both scores, and succeeds at this. I've seen mention of 'Norweigan ice' in Grieg's chamber music, and both string quartets certainly make a case for this. There's an amazingly cold, dark atmosphere to both, even the major key quartet. It should probably be noted that the second quartet was completed from sketches Grieg made in case this bothers anyone. All three violin sonatas are wonderful and offer more of the 'Norweigan ice' spoken of earlier, this is really something you have to hear to understand. But the third violin sonata is absolutely amazing! It juxtaposes an almost lullaby-like hypnotic theme with a rather cold, harsh one and works wonders. It's rather clear that it's one of his mature works as it's a step above the first two, and the performance is wonderful. I've never been a big fan of violin sonatas but I'd say the third violin sonata is worth the price of the disc alone. Then we come to the cello sonata....there's actually probably a fair amount of competition here, however, this version works wonderfully, and the slightly muffled piano even seems to add to the atmosphere. Up next is a three minute fugue for string quartet which is a wonderful little piece, but I honestly don't have much to say about it. The Andante Con Moto for piano trio is rather..well...this becoming cliched by now, but it's very murky and dark. It certainly makes me wish he'd finished the piece.

The first two discs average about 65 minutes and the third one is close to 41, if anyone is concerned about this.

Now, due to my...lack of ability as a great reviewer, I should probably mention another reason these three discs are of interest:

The Requiem can be had for under a dollar, the Cello works disc for under two, and the chamber music set can be had for around $10. (If you're in America, at least)

Here

Here

Here

*NOTE: Some of you will have seen this at the other board. I realize that some people that visit this board don't visit the other, so I decided what the hell, may as well post it here, too.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 pm

An excellent post, Harve!

The Brahms looks very intriguing. I enjoy those old DGG recordings from the 50s and 60s. Stader was a wonderful singer - she's the Pamina on my Fricsay Flute.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Harvested Sorrow

Post by Harvested Sorrow » Wed May 24, 2006 8:41 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:The Brahms looks very intriguing. I enjoy those old DGG recordings from the 50s and 60s. Stader was a wonderful singer - she's the Pamina on my Fricsay Flute.
At a little over $3 (shipping included) I'd say it might just be worth the risk... :wink: despite my rather vague review. You can find a few better ones at Amazon, anyway. I seem to recall a good review or two there, at least.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Thu May 25, 2006 12:15 am

I'll get that Requiem for Stader's singing. Her voice on Fricsay's Mozart Mass in C is heavenly, as well Pamina as Corlyss mentioned.

val

Post by val » Thu May 25, 2006 3:52 am

The version of Brahms Requiem by Fritz Lehmann is very good. Stader is at her best but the baritone is nothing special.
The best part of this version is, in my opinion, "Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit".