GOP Men and the Vaccine

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

GOP Men and the Vaccine

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:37 am

From "Men Yell At Me" newsletter today:

Vaccine supply in America is now higher than the demand, thanks in no small part to the backbone of American dingery, conservative white men.

Forty-nine percent of Republican men say they have no plans to get the vaccine.

These bold titans of industry literally cannot roll up to Walgreens two times in the span of four weeks and get a shot. Over 575,000 people are dead from a new and deadly virus, and these guys cannot be bothered to just show up to two appointments. I assume these are the same men who own guns and swear they will shoot anyone who comes into their home. You know, for safety reasons. But they themselves won’t go get two tiny little shots to stop a virus from killing us all.

That’s because for them, this time actually hasn’t been a nightmare. After a brief shutdown, their lives have continued as normal. In Iowa, everything has been open since, well, last Memorial Day. High schoolers played baseball last summer. Bars have been packed. Churches full. A woman I know who works as a hair stylist tells me that she’s been out basically every weekend since November, where she’s seen local politicians (no, not all Republicans) who have been just out. You know. Out. Drinking. Bar hopping.

We’ve never been in this together.

A woman told me that in June she went to a bar with her husband and some friends from Colorado. The people from Colorado looked at all the unmasked people in the bar in amazement and said, “Where are we?”

And a man turned around and hit his hand on the table and said, “The United States of America!”

Congratulations, the greatest country in the world is full of men named Kevin who can’t get their khakied asses to a CVS to get a free vaccine.

Runner-Up: Bipartisanship

After President Biden's speech, GOP Sen. Rob Portman approached the President in the House chamber. He told Biden: "Don't leave us out," according to a person familiar with his remarks.
Letting Republicans influence laws makes just as much sense as dipping cookies in toilet water. That’s all I have to say on the matter.

maestrob

Re: GOP Men and the Vaccine

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:24 am

I love that newsletter!

Thanks, Rach3.

barney

Post by barney » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 pm

Yes, she puts it very eloquently.
Don't quite get the Portman reference. Don't leave us out of what?

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Sat May 01, 2021 3:02 am

I doubt anyone really knows what 49% of men or women of any particular political party thinks :)

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 am

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:37 am

Validation? This simply looks like fake news with a political flavour.

And who is "Men Yell At Me"?

Can I be blunt (and I don't mean to be rude) but what's the point of posting this? Lyz Lenz is the solo writer for MYAM and reading her biography she has her own political perspective - fair enough, she's entitled to it. She's also very good at producing articles that are strong on rhetoric that she doesn't back up with researched facts. She also doesn't say how many Republican women feel the same way.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 01, 2021 8:00 am

david johnson wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:02 am
I doubt anyone really knows what 49% of men or women of any particular political party thinks
A representative sample were asked and answered. http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content ... pdf#page=1
Unless one practices the ancient art of Celtic divination or takes a Herodian head count, what more can anyone know?
Last edited by jserraglio on Sat May 01, 2021 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 01, 2021 8:03 am

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:37 am
Holden Fourth wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 am
Validation? This simply looks like fake news with a political flavour.
Here you go. http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content ... pdf#page=1 You will find the relevant data on page 23.

But the 49% figure you suggested was ‘fake news’ does come from early March, 2021 so maybe things have changed for the better since then. After all, the Biden Administration has made such a convincing case for taking the jab and vaccines so widely available that hundreds of 16-year-old kids at my school are now getting theirs.

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Sun May 02, 2021 2:16 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:00 am
david johnson wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:02 am
I doubt anyone really knows what 49% of men or women of any particular political party thinks
A representative sample were asked and answered. http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content ... pdf#page=1
Unless one practices the ancient art of Celtic divination or takes a Herodian head count, what more can anyone know?
I definitely understand sampling/polls. That's why I made the comment :)

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 02, 2021 4:07 am

david johnson wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:16 am
That's why I made the comment
ANNALS OF ALTRUISM: President Joe Biden gallantly bringing Joe Six-Pack back to their senses so they’ll still be around in 2024 to cast another fruitless ballot for Mister Mean.