What I listened to today

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What I listened to today

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 am

Wallingford wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:58 pm
Maestro--

Yes, yes, to the above, with these corrections:

Dorati died in 1988. He was also by no means the first to record Tchaikovsky's first three symphonies--there were RCA's early 40s sets of Goossens/Cincinnati in the Second, Hans Kindler with NSO(D.C.) in the Third, and Fabien Sevitzky's Indianapolis Symphony in the First.

Also, IIRC, Jacques Rachmilovitch (BOY, talik about a forgotten maestro!) did one or maybe all three in the late 40s.

Regarding Dorati, I've always been a fan, and think that he along with Monteux were the two conductors who could always be counted on for patrician, solid, well-thought-out interpretations.
Sure! :D

I should have said "in stereo" when it comes to the early Tchaikovsky Symphonies.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:57 pm

A pianist I follow. An eclectic,fascinating program.The very brief Pousseur new to me.A Beethoven-esque Schubert, Ligeti-esque Pousseur, Ligeti-esque LvB Op.119 and a “Bagatelles” -esque “Ricerata”, with the LvB Op.31 recalling the Op.119,Schubert and Ligeti ; or I missed the point ? But, a great recital.The effectiveness of simplicity.

Enregistré le 23/02/2021 au BR Studio 2, Broadcasting House, Munich

Ludwig van Beethoven - 11 Bagatelles, op. 119 et Musica Ricercata de György Ligeti ( ie., alternating )

Franz Schubert - Impromptu en do mineur, D. 899/1

Henri Pousseur (1929-2009) - Coups de dés en échos
(pour ponctuer - au piano - le silence de John Cage)

Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonate No. 16 en Sol Majeur pour piano, op. 31/1

Herbert Schuch, piano

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert?id=2760425

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:59 pm

Faure's Requiem (Leibowitz)
Grieg's Piano Sonata & book one of the Lyric Pieces (Mourao)
Entremont's early Epic disc of Chopin, mid-50s
Ravel's Miroirs (Abbey Simon)
Beethoven's Triple Concerto (Stern/Rose/Istomin/Ormandy)
Tchaikovsky Sleeping Beauty excerpts (Howard Mitchell/NSO of DC)
Boccherini's First Cello Concerto (Gendron/Casals)

...and two volumes of the early 60s Welte Legacy series, piano rolls of Reger, Ernst von Dohnanyi, Granados, and Scriabin. The only ones distinguishable are a few of the Granados and Dohnanyi, which at least sound like a human being playing the keyboard.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:22 am

Wallingford wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:59 pm
Faure's Requiem (Leibowitz)
Grieg's Piano Sonata & book one of the Lyric Pieces (Mourao)
Entremont's early Epic disc of Chopin, mid-50sRavel's Miroirs (Abbey Simon)
Beethoven's Triple Concerto (Stern/Rose/Istomin/Ormandy)
Tchaikovsky Sleeping Beauty excerpts (Howard Mitchell/NSO of DC)
Boccherini's First Cello Concerto (Gendron/Casals)

...and two volumes of the early 60s Welte Legacy series, piano rolls of Reger, Ernst von Dohnanyi, Granados, and Scriabin. The only ones distinguishable are a few of the Granados and Dohnanyi, which at least sound like a human being playing the keyboard.
Grew up with the ones I bolded. Some wonderful memories of hearing Ormandy conduct the Triple Concerto in the Academy of Music come to mind with the three soloists mentioned, my first hearing of that work.

The Abbey Simon (a vastly underappreciated artist IMHO) LP was also my first exposure to Ravel, but was superseded by Perlemuter on Vox before long.

Ah, memories!

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:41 pm

Have a ton of albums I’d received these last few weeks, but one out of them I’ll specially single out—a stereo Hispavox LP of conductor Enrique Jorda from (educated guess) the 60s, with a Spanish ensemble called Orquesta de Conciertos de Madrid. Pickup group? I haven’t the faintest. Jorda (1911-1996) is a forgotten maestro of low esteem, with virtually no record of his guest conducting of other American orchestras. He was music director of the San Francisco Symphony for, incredibly, nine seasons. He carries the blame for having brought down the discipline and virtuosity level of the orchestra; it was up to the stentorian Josef Krips to rebuild it.

After George Szell publicly destroyed Jorda’s reputation in 1962, he was reduced to guest conducting minor ensembles dotting the landscapes of Central and South America; he had only two regular orchestral posts after this point. The present LP has him playing orchestral transcripts of Albeniz. Jorda had natural flair for this master as well as Granados, deFalla and Turina, and it shines well through increasingly jagged ensemble, unbearable intonation, and disconnected rhythms and entrances. As the record wore on I repeatedly held my nose thru the out-of-tuneness of many long chords.

In defense of Jorda, however, I should say I used to have a bootleg of parts of his first concert as SFS head conductor (‘54), and certain works have me believing what the initial acclaim—audience and critics—was all about. He did the Borodin Second, third and fourth movements being all that survive of this performance, and they’re so smashingly good that I’d wager any sum of money the rest of it was just as terrific.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:00 pm

I believe Rubinstein and RCA saw fit to record De Falla’s “ Nights” with Jorda,SFO.I had the lp once, may still if I look.

What did Szell do or say in 1962 ? TIA.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:08 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:00 pm
I believe Rubinstein and RCA saw fit to record De Falla’s “ Nights” with Jorda,SFO.I had the lp once, may still if I look.

What did Szell do or say in 1962 ? TIA.
I made a posting 14 years ago on the conductor, detailing the situation. Here it is:
http://classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=17134
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:42 pm

The intriguing CD pictured above by Ned Rorem, features works for piano and violin that demand attention but don't strain the ear too much. Rorem's idiom is quite tonal, but he explores the limits of the violin's virtuosity in these demanding pieces. A first hearing for me, I'm not sure if I'll add this to my collection, as it can be streamed on amazon, but this is sincerely worthy XXth Century music that should be heard at least once with great respect. Played with passion and commitment by Jaime and Ruth Laredo.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 pm

Debussy’s Preludes, book one (Novaes)
The Kontarsky twins doing piano-four-hand works of Debussy & Ravel
Schnabel doing Beethoven’s Sonatas #7, 26 & 27
Toscanini doing Grieg’s Holberg Suite
Faure’s 2nd Violin Sonata (Francescatti, Casadesus)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:57 am

Wallingford wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 pm
Debussy’s Preludes, book one (Novaes)
The Kontarsky twins doing piano-four-hand works of Debussy & Ravel
Schnabel doing Beethoven’s Sonatas #7, 26 & 27
Toscanini doing Grieg’s Holberg Suite
Faure’s 2nd Violin Sonata (Francescatti, Casadesus)
Good morning!

I have quite a lot of Novaes in my library, but I've not seen her Debussy on CD for some reason. I'm quite sure she's great in what to her was contemporary music.

As for the Schnabel and Kontarsky LPs, I remember being impressed with the Kontarskys and of course Schnabel, but have not heard them in some time.

Enjoy!

The Faure with Casadesus/Francescatti I own in the Casadesus box recently issued by Sony. Wonderful.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:01 pm

A delightful change of pace when you're in the mood:

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert?id=2763064
Enregistré le 19/03/2021 à la Chapelle Musicale Reine Elisabeth à Waterloo

Johannes Brahms
- Liebeslieder Waltzes, Op. 52
- 16 valses, pour piano à 4 mains, op. 39
- Neue Liebeslieder Waltzes, Op.65

Sophie Raynaud et Philippe Riga, piano 4 mains
Louise Foor, soprano
Katarina Van Droogenbroeck, Mezzo-soprano
Valentin Thill, Ténor
Leon Kosavic, baryton

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:29 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:24 am
Pianist Emanuele Arciuli’s “Walk in Beauty” solo piano Innova 2017 2-cd set I have. Also here if interested :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZC3GIo ... Aeg&index=
Again. Needed some respite.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:11 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:01 pm
A delightful change of pace when you're in the mood:

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert?id=2763064
Enregistré le 19/03/2021 à la Chapelle Musicale Reine Elisabeth à Waterloo

Johannes Brahms
- Liebeslieder Waltzes, Op. 52
- 16 valses, pour piano à 4 mains, op. 39
- Neue Liebeslieder Waltzes, Op.65

Sophie Raynaud et Philippe Riga, piano 4 mains
Louise Foor, soprano
Katarina Van Droogenbroeck, Mezzo-soprano
Valentin Thill, Ténor
Leon Kosavic, baryton
Marvelous!

I have sung both sets of the Brahms, and they have stayed with me very well through the years. I will definitely hear this entire concert today. Thanks, Rach3!

LATER: This was a remarkably suave and sophisticated concert experience of these rarely-performed works, and very well-recorded. The 16 Walzer were delightful as well. I do hope this remains available, as I plan on revisiting this link next week.

Recommended to all here!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:09 pm

I think I’ve heard Mahler’s 3rd Symphony complete only once previously. The only Mahler symphonies I listen to by choice, although it has been years, are Nos.1,5, and , particularly, 6 . ( I do also enjoy “Kindertotenlieder.”) But, as I’m not getting younger, the ticket price here was good, and the performance historical , did hear 3rd once more. Fortunately , I lasted longer than the performance, a risk for anyone my age listening to the 3rd. As I believe the usual practice is the soloist and chorus sit on stage from the beginning (?) , what an endurance test.Especially since the vocal “ parts “ are much like the viola and flute parts in Ives’ “Concord” Piano sonata. The RCO was magnificent. Can I now partly blame Mahler for the birth of the Second Viennese School ? And cuts used to be made in Rachmaninoff’s 2nd Symphony !

I of course realize there are many Mahler fans, and I respect those differing views.

June 9,1978, live, Claudio Abbado, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra at the Concertgebouw,Amsterdam, Christa Ludwig,Collegium Musicum Amstelodamense :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/4323 ... t-mahler-3

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 pm

Berlioz' Fantastique........Beecham 2.

His stereo performance; he recorded the mono one, incredibly, just the year before.

A terrific model among the slower performances.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:09 pm
I think I’ve heard Mahler’s 3rd Symphony complete only once previously. The only Mahler symphonies I listen to by choice, although it has been years, are Nos.1,5, and , particularly, 6 . ( I do also enjoy “Kindertotenlieder.”) But, as I’m not getting younger, the ticket price here was good, and the performance historical , did hear 3rd once more. Fortunately , I lasted longer than the performance, a risk for anyone my age listening to the 3rd. As I believe the usual practice is the soloist and chorus sit on stage from the beginning (?) , what an endurance test.Especially since the vocal “ parts “ are much like the viola and flute parts in Ives’ “Concord” Piano sonata. The RCO was magnificent. Can I now partly blame Mahler for the birth of the Second Viennese School ? And cuts used to be made in Rachmaninoff’s 2nd Symphony !

I of course realize there are many Mahler fans, and I respect those differing views.

June 9,1978, live, Claudio Abbado, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra at the Concertgebouw,Amsterdam, Christa Ludwig,Collegium Musicum Amstelodamense :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/4323 ... t-mahler-3
Wow!

Rach3, you have indeed found a treasure here.

I listen to complete cycles of Mahler, Bruckner and Shostakovich each Spring when the weather becomes mild, so that I don't have to use either the fan or the air conditioner in my home, both of which cover the softer passages in music when in use. The Bruckner of choice for me is Barenboim's set of DVDs with his Berlin Staatskapelle Orchestra, and the Mahler is split between Bernstein/Vienna and mostly Abbado/Lucerne. The Shostakovich cycle is a mixed bag, with some by Bernstein, Kondrashin & Ormandy, and occasionally some newer examples.

That said, Abbado is really superb in Mahler III: the only recordings I have that compete with him would be a Martinon in Chicago (live) and Bernstein in Vienna. Mahler III really gets to me, even though it took me many years to grasp the
beauty of the last movement. Today, I have no favorite Mahler Symphony, only a list of great moments contained therein, and the brief movement in the Third Symphony for Boys' Choir is one of them.

As I just heard/saw Abbado at Lucerne two weeks ago perform Mahler III, I'm really looking forward to hearing your posted concert at the Concertgebouw in 1979 for the first time very soon, as it was never released on CD TMK.

Many thanks!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Stanislaw Skrowaczewski is still one of your reviewer's favorite first-rank conductors consigned to near-oblivion on budget labels during the XXth Century, the other being David Zinman. Skrowaczewski made many outstanding recordings during his tenure at the helm of the Minnesota Orchestra (Ravel, Stravinsky & Bartok), as well as a fine traversal of all Bruckner's Symphonies (including the student efforts 00 & 0). The disc above is from those years in Germany and includes a fiery reading of Britten's Piano Concerto that rivals Richter's far more famous recording led by the composer, with pianist Robert Leonardy, and an equally effective take on Elgar's Enigma Variations, with a powerful Nimrod at its center. Recommended highly.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:09 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 pm
Stanislaw Skrowaczewski is still one of your reviewer's favorite first-rank conductors consigned to near-oblivion on budget labels during the XXth Century, the other being David Zinman. Skrowaczewski made many outstanding recordings during his tenure at the helm of the Minnesota Orchestra (Ravel, Stravinsky & Bartok), as well as a fine traversal of all Bruckner's Symphonies (including the student efforts 00 & 0). The disc above is from those years in Germany and includes a fiery reading of Britten's Piano Concerto that rivals Richter's far more famous recording led by the composer, with pianist Robert Leonardy, and an equally effective take on Elgar's Enigma Variations, with a powerful Nimrod at its center. Recommended highly.
I had the good fortune while in college to attend several Minnesota Orchestra concerts in Minneapolis ca. 1967 - 1971.He was a force and improved the Orchestra.Fww, Benjamin Grosvenor also currently plays the Britten PC and did at Proms years ago here, a concerto also neglected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD7gjmvM66M

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat May 01, 2021 5:58 pm

To recover a bit from listening to to Protopopov, these brief Russian gems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKxl3hTqOq0 Scriabin,Impromptu,Op.12,# 2 (Sofronitsky)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIfUJ5Nh4ec Catoire, Etude Fantastique,Op.12(Hamelin)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmrP4A1E0c Eller,D-flat major Prelude,Book II ( Vlado Ramussen)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOe9LPwh5M Lyatoshynsky, Prelude, Op.38,#1 (Boris Berman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_KHCl3_d1c Lourie, Phoenix Park Nocturne ( Linn)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UKoMGBJAnU Bortkiewicz, Elegie,Op.46 (Jens Hoffman)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djOd3pXih1M Rachmaninoff, Prelude,Op.32,# 10 (Fiorentino)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mYhnrxMNdc Medtner,Op.20,# 1 (Trifonov )

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 02, 2021 12:16 pm

What a marvelous grouping, Rach3, especially the Sofronitsky, whose complete box from Russia newly remastered has just landed on my shelves. Many thanks!

Today's listening included Shostakovitch from an orchestra not normally associated with that composer, the Halle. Barbirolli did lead them in a recording of the Fifth Symphony, and I've found an early LP of the Op. 35 Piano Concerto with Eileen Joyce of all people, but that's about it, until Stanislaw Skrowaczewki recorded Symphonies 1,5,6 & 10 in the 2000's. As can be expected, Skrowaczewski's fiery and intense readings will set your hair on fire and, incidentally, tax your speakers to the max, yet they have languished on the obscure ASV Living Era label without attracting any notice by reviewers that I can find. The great Halle Orchestra plays with precision and passion infusing each bar without a single second of lost concentration. All performances highly recommended.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:43 am

A pianist I follow,Jonathan Plowright, live in London recently playing the original solo piano version of Grieg's Holberg Suite,not sure this version heard often. About 37 minutes into this BBCRadio 3:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000vplh

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 pm

Debussy's 6 Epigraphes antiques and En blanc et noir (R. & G. Casadesus)
Beethoven's Fifth (Koussevitzky 2)
Copland's Vitebsk (Silverstein, Eskin, Frank)
Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin suite (Martinon, w/CSO)
Bartok's Hungarian Sketches & MSPC (Reiner)
Brahms' Fantasies, Op.116 (Daniel Graham--one of my old profs)
Grieg's Norwegian Dances & Songs Op. 17 & Poetic Tone Pictures Op. 3 (Mourao)
Chopin's Sonata #1 (Ashkenazy)
Schubert's First (Leibowitz)
Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet Overture & Prokofiev Romeo exc's (Ozawa)
Caplet's Conte fantastique (Laskine & Quatuor via nova)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Wallingford wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 pm
The Chopin Sonata is very under-rated ,IMHO, and I also enjoy Bartok's "Mandarin" more than his "Concerto for Orchestra."

Wagner/Tausig "Ride of the Valkyries":

Joseph Moog, live (!) video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ5GL6M3S8A

Dennis Henning,with score so you can practice at home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYcQXvOaq8

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 pm

As for 'Valkyries,' here's a real tour de force from Olga Samaroff, doing the Hutcheson transcription--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzOz0HiR0UU
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 am

Rach3 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:43 am
A pianist I follow,Jonathan Plowright, live in London recently playing the original solo piano version of Grieg's Holberg Suite,not sure this version heard often. About 37 minutes into this BBCRadio 3:

I'll be checking this out later, Rach3! Thanks!

Right now it's Bruckner V with Thielemann/Munich, perhaps the finest current (2005) recording along with Barenboim/Berlin Staatskapelle:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 05, 2021 8:33 am

Wallingford wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 pm
Martinon's Chicago years were incredibly short and yet highly productive with consistently high quality. Incredibly underrated conductor, better than Dutoit, IMHO. I have that Bartok as part of this box, and also a Mahler III (live) that the CSO issued in a commemorative box, my current favorite version:

Also recommend his Debussy & Ravel on EMI:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 05, 2021 11:46 am

Wallingford wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 pm
As for 'Valkyries,' here's a real tour de force from Olga Samaroff, doing the Hutcheson transcription--
That was a real gem, and beautifully restored for 1922. Many thanks!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:43 am

A truly fine program, thanks, Rach3!

I've heard the name, of course, but this was my first hearing of Jonathan Plowright for a full recital. He's got excellent musical instincts, and leaves not a single note without meaning. I'll be paying more attention to him in future.

For some reason, his Brahms CDs on Amazon are hyper-expensive, but can be streamed, so I'll be getting to those in the near future. More reasonable on Presto's website.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:52 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 pm

For some reason, his Brahms CDs on Amazon are hyper-expensive, but can be streamed, so I'll be getting to those in the near future. More reasonable on Presto's website.

He has a very interesting cd (Hyperion ? ), "Hommage to Chopin" , which I own and enjoy.Works by various composers in tribute to, not by, Chopin.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 pm

Pianist Elisaveta Blumina live.
Fascinating program, some new works,composers for me, and a pianist new to me :

Enregistré le 15/05/2020 à la Jesus Christ Church, Berlin (Dahlem)

Alexander Scriabin - 5 Préludes, op.16

Mieczyslaw Weinberg - Extraits de 'Children's Notebook : No. 1, op. 16 et No. 3 op. 23'

Valentin Vasilyovych Silvestrov - 2 valses pour Piano

Giya Alexandrovich Kancheli - Pièces pour piano, op. 33

Yuri Povolotsky - Extraits de 'Around Jazz'

Grigori Frid - Pièces pour piano

Serge Prokofiev - Sonate No. 2 en Ré Majeur pour violon et piano, op. 94a

Elisaveta Blumina, piano
Albrecht Menzel, violon

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert?id=2766020

Brief bio : https://www.naxos.com/person/Elisaveta_ ... /79501.htm

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Wed May 05, 2021 11:18 pm

EDUARD ERDMANN...a pianist worth remembering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvMLf1kXrYQ
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:52 pm
maestrob wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 pm

He has a very interesting cd (Hyperion ? ), "Hommage to Chopin" , which I own and enjoy.Works by various composers in tribute to, not by, Chopin.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't often buy now without hearing first, but I happened on a copy in Florida for $3.50, so I just ordered that one. Amazon rates it highly, with all five-star reviews, which helped! :wink:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 am

Wallingford wrote:

Thanks, not sure I'd heard any of her playing.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu May 06, 2021 1:13 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 am
Wallingford wrote:

Thanks, not sure I'd heard any of her playing.
Second the motion! :wink:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm

Elisaveta Blumina, piano
Albrecht Menzel, violon
Just heard this fascinating recital, filled with interesting rarities. Quite an educational experience, which I enjoyed tremendously. Blumina sounds like she's worth exploring, as does the violinist who played the Prokofiev Sonata really well.

I expected more dissonance from Kancheli, and was pleasantly surprised by the inventive tunefulness of the music, as well as the others. All was played with commitment and musicality.

Many thanks, Rach3.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm

This delightful album has brought to my attention three concerti grossi of the 1920's by Krenek, Schulhoff & D'Indy composed in the neo-classical style of the period. Conducted by non other than Neville Marriner, the strings of the ASMF play with lilt and sparkle that underlie the charm of these very accessible works that feature Maria Prinz, piano, Karl-Heinz Schulz on flute, Christoph Konz on violin, with Robert Nagy as the cello soloist. Remarkably good sound from Chandos. Recommended.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat May 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Speaking of young string players as we were in another recent thread, the new recording above features the Maxwell Quartet in their lovingly recorded second Haydn CD, this time featuring the Op. 74 Quartets and a set of fiddle tunes from the Scottish highlands. Totally refreshing to the ears! Recommended.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sun May 09, 2021 6:26 am

Believe it or not, this was the first time that this pianophile listened to a performance by Grigory Sokolov of a substantial work. And now I know why Sokolov is held in such high regard. This live performance from 1985 of the Diabelli Variations is one of the best I've heard. Will it replace my Rudolf Serkin recording? Probably not, but I'm glad to have both.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 09, 2021 8:51 am

Horowitz playing Poulenc's "Toccata" in Carnegie Hall (1966), a piece he had championed since 1932. Sony finally released the house recording from the Horowitz Collection just a few years ago in better sound than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAev-7iSy54

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 09, 2021 9:07 am

I had forgotten how good this is.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 am

Leonard Bernstein playing and conducting Shostakovich Piano Concerto #2 in its first stereo recording from January 1958:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHmn5UqTWD8

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 09, 2021 9:45 am

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:17 am

Sergei Bortkiewicz’ PC # 3 “Per Aspera ad Astra”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7zZLAqiaW4 (live video)

I used to refer to this work as the "Turandot" concerto based on the finale.

Selections from Arbiter Records' cd of pianist Iren Marik, "Bartok in the Desert ", unfortunately the whole cd not at YT, but the Liszt "Valle de Obermann " ( hear the second one here,better sound) is the first version, not the later version usually played now :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FaQ44p4gj9

I do not know if the cd can be obtained from Arbiter now that Allan Evans has passed.One of my treasured cd's.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:26 am
Believe it or not, this was the first time that this pianophile listened to a performance by Grigory Sokolov of a substantial work.
Thanks for this ; I'll look for that "Diabelli" recording.
A live Prokofieff 7th Sonata by Sokolov I though was great, in Paris, 2002:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMgHgWxhtzc

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 09, 2021 12:43 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 am
Ricordanza wrote:
Believe it or not, this was the first time that this pianophile listened to a performance by Grigory Sokolov of a substantial work.
Thanks for this ; I'll look for that "Diabelli" recording.
A live Prokofieff 7th Sonata by Sokolov I though was great, in Paris, 2002:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMgHgWxhtzc
Yes, Joe, I have the complete DVD of that recital. Sokolov plays with inhuman dexterity in Prokofiev's most difficult sonata.

And congratulations of having the Janine Micheau "Pecheurs de perles" LPs. That's a remarkable recording, along with the one with the famous husband and wife team, Pierrette Alarie and Georges Simoneau for Phillips. The coloratura soprano aria, "Comme autrefois..." is a stunning tour de force and is so rarely sung these days.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 09, 2021 2:01 pm

Ricordanza wrote:

Believe it or not, this was the first time that this pianophile listened to a performance by Grigory Sokolov of a substantial work. And now I know why Sokolov is held in such high regard. This live performance from 1985 of the Diabelli Variations is one of the best I've heard. Will it replace my Rudolf Serkin recording? Probably not, but I'm glad to have both.
That recording with the cover you posted is listed on Amazon as "unavailable," but it is certainly in print, contained in Naive's box pictured below (which I own), along with many of his earlier recordings for $49, one copy available at the moment. It is, indeed, a very well-considered interpretation:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:17 pm

Slow movs. (only) of Mozart piano sonatas K.279 thru 284 and 570, easy to do here at this 2001 recording of all his piano sonatas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcgd1oCbW4g

Brilliant Classics (now ) , Klara Wurtz, pianist

http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... _Wurtz.htm

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:24 pm

Ricordanza wrote:
Will it replace my Rudolf Serkin recording? Probably not, but I'm glad to have both.
My "Diabelli" recordings are R.Serkin and Richter, but here is one I might prefer to both: Daniel-Ben Pienaar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5r7U7B ... Ow&index=1

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Mon May 10, 2021 5:45 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:01 pm
That recording with the cover you posted is listed on Amazon as "unavailable," but it is certainly in print, contained in Naive's box pictured below (which I own), along with many of his earlier recordings for $49, one copy available at the moment. It is, indeed, a very well-considered interpretation:
Just to be clear, I did not purchase the physical CD. Rather, I purchased this recording (of Sokolov playing the Diabelli Variations) from iTunes and listened to it during my daily walk.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 10, 2021 7:42 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:17 pm
Slow movs. (only) of Mozart piano sonatas K.279 thru 284 and 570, easy to do here at this 2001 recording of all his piano sonatas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcgd1oCbW4g

Brilliant Classics (now ) , Klara Wurtz, pianist

http://www.musicweb-international.com/c ... _Wurtz.htm
Klara Wurtz has been my go-to pianist for Mozart's sonatas ever since cliftwood recommended her to me more than a decade ago. She obviously has a very special relationship with Mozart, lively playing with sparkle and joy in every note. I reaffirm my initial impression every year as I play through her complete box.