Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer's Letter to Fox News

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

barney

Re: Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer's Letter to Fox News

Post by barney » Wed May 25, 2022 12:53 am

Good on him. Let's see where that goes from here (hint: 0)

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 am

The result of last weekend's Australian general election proved once and for all (as if proof was needed) that the idea that the Murdoch Press has power and 'influence' in Australian politics is a complete chimera. Nobody hates like the Left. If the Left didn't have its hatred, myths and pieties it would have nothing at all. Or their conspiracies, or lowered 'limbo-rock' performance bars through affirmative action. (cf Prof. Glenn Loury)

News Limited (they put their own money where their mouths are) backed the Coalition and this made zero difference to the outcome. The real activism took place on the publicly-funded ABC, which I and my family pay for. They have a constitutional obligation to represent the views of all Australians and not present personal opinion, climate hysteria and SJW activism as news. This is the real scandal of the media; that the ABC thinks that organization belongs to its own collective and they should be free to prosecute their left wing ideologies at the taxpayers' expense. The ABC displays zero sociological imagination; just riding along with the herd - or "the vibe", as well call it. If you walk past their office any day you can hear the faint bleating of sheep.

Just today we had a female member of the new government ridiculing the physical appearance of the prospective leader of the Liberal Party, likening him to a character from Harry Potter. Just imagine if he'd said about her, "the woman with the false teeth like a Steinway piano who reiterates like a parrot one word, 'funding, funding, funding, funding". The horror! Imagine a man saying that to a woman and coming out with a career and reputation. As I've often said, if the Left didn't have hypocrisy it wouldn't have anything at all. But they do this because they have to!! Taking a leaf out of the Donald Trump Manual on Social Skills and Diplomacy.

Dinosaurs like Schumer and Pelosi and, indeed, Biden are running on batteries. What in the name of all that's holy are such geriatrics doing running the American polity? Elon Musk has come out and said he can no longer support the Democrats because they are the party of hatred and divisiveness. What took him so long to realize what most of us have known for years? I fully expect Musk to get a leave pass from the Left because he produces their much-loved electric vehicles. :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 25, 2022 7:02 am

Belle wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 am
Dinosaurs like Schumer and Pelosi and, indeed, Biden are running on batteries. What in the name of all that's holy are such geriatrics doing running the American polity?
Yet another instance of an outmoded pot calling kettles antique.

What in the name of all that is unholy is one to make of her ad hominem attack based on age coming just moments after she had objected to an ad hominem attack based on appearance?

I call it pusillanimous hypocrisy.

barney

Post by barney » Wed May 25, 2022 9:00 am

Media Watch here surveyed the Murdoch front page coverage of the election, using the main 4 papers: Australian, Courier Mail, Herald Sun, Daily Telegraph. From memory, 27 attack Labour articles, 1 attack Liberals article, 8 boost Liberals articles, no boost Labour articles. No wonder his influence is derisory - people see through it without even looking. It is a bit tiring how far-right culture warriors like Belle whine and whine and whine about the ABC, while defending Murdoch. She has no concept of journalistic integrity, that journalists have a code of ethics which includes fair and balanced reporting - and that this includes those on the Murdoch press who claim to be journalists. Mind you, I agree that many on the ABC are more ideological than they should be.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 25, 2022 9:25 am

barney wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:00 am
[Belle] has no concept of journalistic integrity, that journalists have a code of ethics which includes fair and balanced reporting - and that this includes those on the Murdoch press who claim to be journalists.
Murdoch's WSJ is one of the world's great papers, and I read it nearly every day. Their conservative editorial stance doesn't bother me a bit. I grew up reading my conservative hometown daily paper.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 25, 2022 9:33 am

jserraglio wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:25 am
barney wrote:
[Belle] has no concept of journalistic integrity, that journalists have a code of ethics which includes fair and balanced reporting - and that this includes those on the Murdoch press who claim to be journalists.
Murdoch's WSJ is one of the world's great papers, and I read it nearly every day. Their conservative editorial stance doesn't bother me a bit. I grew up reading my conservative hometown daily paper.
Reading most of the WSJ editorials makes me think of MAD Magazine, frankly, although they sometimes score some points. I'm happy to read their reporting, though, which can be quite original with great depth.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 25, 2022 2:19 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:33 am
Reading most of the WSJ editorials makes me think of MAD Magazine, frankly, although they sometimes score some points. I'm happy to read their reporting, though, which can be quite original with great depth.
The WSJ editorials are often unbecoming of the rest of the paper.Sort of like passing gas in church.I suspect Murdoch tinkers little if at all with WSJ so as not to kill a golden goose he knows is in a different class from the rest of his media and family.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 25, 2022 2:44 pm

Who cares what the editorials say? Sometimes they are right. I have never even caught a cold from reading them.

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 26, 2022 1:03 am

jserraglio wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:25 am
barney wrote:
Like my paper, The Age, it WAS one of the great papers. Perhaps it remains so; the Age does not. In the '80s The Age regularly featured in lists ofthe world's top 10 with the NYT, WSJ, WP, Times of London, Frankfurt's paper etc. The WSJ has a great tradition, and perhaps in general it tries to live up to it. I have no objection to conservative papers, I think they are an essential part of balanced coverage, obviously.